at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont in Berlin, Vermont, United States
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is looking for a Chief Actuary to lead our Financial Integrity team. Our company culture is built on an unwavering focus on our members and giving them the best service possible. We offer a balanced, flexible workplace, an onsite gym, fitness and wellness programs, a competitive salary and full benefits package including medical and dental insurance, vision, 401k, paid time off and holidays, tuition reimbursement and student loan repayment, dependent caregiver benefits, and resources to support your ongoing personal and professional growth and development.
COVID-19: Blue Cross is requiring all employees and covered consultants to be fully vaccinated (including first booster if eligible) against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination as of January 1, 2022. Those with a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief preventing them from being vaccinated can request an exemption without fear of retaliation or an impact on job candidacy.
REMOTE WORK: Blue Cross has transitioned to a hybrid workplace where employees within driving distance of our Berlin, VT office work Wednesdays in the office with flexibility to work remotely the rest of the week. The Chief Actuary will reside in Vermont, and Blue Cross offers relocation assistance.
Chief Actuary Responsibilities:
- Develop and provide actuarial, financial and pricing data, reports, and recommendations to Plan leaders to support the company’s objective of maintaining a financially robust organization.
- Produce sound and consistent recommendations across levels of IBNR liabilities and line of business profits margins in the context of risk-based capital objectives, product pricing, payment reform, corporate goals, new initiatives and other complex measures related to financial solvency.
- Ensure sound recommendations through continual assessment of changes in current and future health care costs using national and local information sources ranging from industry publications and consultants to the analysis of internal data, working effectively with a wide variety of internal staff and external sources.
- Provide guidance to the actuarial staff, monitor the effectiveness of strategies, and ensure consistent results from staff across all projects.
- Oversee the underwriting function including application of strong business judgment on pricing allowances and partnering with client solutions to achieve sustainable growth.
Chief Actuary Qualifications:
- BS in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a closely related field required.
- 10 + years of experience in Actuarial Sciences required.
- 5-7 years of leadership and management experience required.
- FSA required
- Meets the qualification standard of the American Academy of Actuaries to sign Statements of Opinion.
Chief Actuary Benefits:
- Health insurance (including vision)
- Dental coverage (free to employees)
- Wellness Program
- 401(k) with employer match + automatic employer contribution
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Combined time off (CTO) – 20 days per year + 9 paid holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Student Loan Repayment
- Dependent Caregiver Benefits
*The full job description is attached to our ADP job posting at www.bluecrossvt.org/careers.