at Green Mountain Transit in St. Albans , Vermont, United States
Description and Essential Functions
Responsible for safe and efficient operation of a bus in the transport of passengers, exercising sound judgment in all instances including but not limited to emergencies. Performs skilled work of a routine nature in the operation of various types of buses. Receives assignments and instructions in specific written and/or oral form.
- Operates various buses in a safe, efficient manner.
- Provides customer service that is helpful to the passenger enabling them to reach their final destination. Such customer service includes but is not limited, to answering questions, providing directions, issuing passenger transfers and providing information about GMT transit services.
- Arrives for shift on time, dressed in a complete uniform.
- Checks in with Dispatcher at beginning and end of each shift.
- Provides physical assistance to disabled passengers when necessary.
- Obeys all applicable traffic laws.
- Greets passengers, monitors fare collection, and helps customers understand fare structures.
- Complies with route schedules notifying the Dispatch office when traffic/weather conditions hinder schedule adherence.
- Communicates verbally in English, so as to be understood, both in person and by two-way radio.
- Has the ability to communicate verbally utilizing courtesy and diplomacy in dealing with the public.
- Uses radio to contact Dispatch office to report problems encountered in route such as bad road conditions, detours, passenger problems, and emergencies.
- Conducts circle check of bus before beginning run, for safety and cleanliness. Reports any discrepancies to the Dispatcher, a supervisor, or reports problem(s) on Pre-Trip Inspection form.
- Fills out reports such as the Pre-Trip Inspection form, passenger count surveys and Crash/Incident reports completely, legibly within established timeframes.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position; it is intended merely to be a guide to the general work to be performed.