at USDA, Food Safety and Inspection Service in Randolph, Vermont, United States
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) employs approximately 8,700 federal employees across the United States. We work collectively to conduct a broad range of food safety activities to achieve our overall vision – that everyone’s food is safe.
FSIS employees are highly trained, motivated, and skilled professionals. Our workforce is critical to the mission of the Agency and
we strive to ensure that FSIS is a great place to work.
1 year of specialized experience gained after your 16th birthday that demonstrates technical skill and knowledge of characteristics of food commodities and substances (e.g., experience in quality control/lab, inspection aide, food inspector, public health inspector).
B.S. degree or full 4-year course of study in a science related field leading to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university that includes at least 24 semester hours in biology, physical, or agriculture sciences.
U.S. citizenship is required.
Competitive starting salary based on locality. Overtime is compensated and benefits are included. Visit usajobs.gov for more information.
- YOU WILL/MAY:
- Ensure that regulated establishments produce a safe product by executing appropriate inspection methods, determining noncompliance with regulatory requirements, documenting noncompliance and initiating enforcement action, where warranted.
- Verify that meat and poultry slaughter and/or processing establishment’s Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) Plans meet regulatory requirements.
- Execute Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) Plans effectively to prevent unsanitary conditions and adulteration of product.
- Review records, observe plant operations and conduct hands-on verification to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and prepare detailed documentation (Non-Compliance Records) of non-compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Determine when regulatory control action is necessary. You will assess whether the plant’s corrective or preventative actions are acceptable and effective, if there are trends in noncompliance, or if enforcement action is warranted.
- Conduct regulatory oversight activities inside plants in matters relating to other consumer protections (e.g., economic adulteration and misbranding).
- Have contact with plant managers, owners and others to explain legal and regulatory requirements, discuss operation of the plant’s SSOP, HACCP plan and other food safety programs.
- Communicate and defend determinations on non-compliance issues and discuss plans for addressing non-compliance.
- Work with a variety of individuals to resolve problems, clarify differences of interpretation concerning HACCP and other food safety or consumer protection requirements.
- Advise other Agency inspectors, supervisors and officers on inspection and enforcement matters for which you are involved.
- Conduct various samplings, surveys and tests to obtain pertinent data on potential problem areas, industry trends, or other issues of current interest to the Agency.
- Be involved in performing health and safety verification sampling and tests for detection of specific microbes (e.g., salmonella, listeria, etc.), residues or contaminants.
- Assure that products approved for import are in full compliance with all applicable Federal regulations governing the importation of meat and poultry products.
- Authorize entry of all meat or poultry products considered to comply with Federal regulations or refuse entry of any products which violate any of the requirements for admission into this country.
- Coordinate with other Federal agencies (e.g., the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) on such matters as animal health restrictions and refused entry lots.
Browse our Career Opportunities online:
To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account