at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont, United States
Posting Number: S01664
New hires for this position will be eligible for a $750 sign-on bonus at the completion of 180 days of employment
The Retail Foods Cook will prepare a variety of menu items for service following established preparation guidelines using a griddle, char broiler, deep fat fryer and pizza oven to prepare food to order within forecasted and planned amounts. He/she will complete all assigned work ensuring high quality and timely meal preparation and following all standards of quality and sanitation. The Retail Food Cook will prepare food products in customer service areas serving and interacting with customers in a friendly and courteous manner. He/she will assist members of the culinary team with executing meal service and be willing and able to take direction and guidance from more senior cooks.
This is a night time cook that requires working until 1:00am on Weekdays and 3:00am on weekends.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
FOOD PREP, COOKING, PRESENTATION & STORAGE
* Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
* Prepares food according to food handlers guidelines and assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
* Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
* Cooks only items generated from the restaurant point-of-sale system.
* Complete time and temperature logs daily.
* Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
* Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
* Handles stores and rotates all products properly.
* Work on various catering events as directed from the lead cook or the retail managers.
* Completes required tasks within assigned time frames.
* Tracks and reports any food waste.
* Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
* Must have working knowledge of cooking procedures and food preparation.
* May on occasion, serve alcohol to a diverse population. Sale of such alcohol must conform to a laws set forth be the Vermont DLC. Must past certification course from DLC of Vermont.
* Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
* Maintain a clean, neat and safe workplace
* Assist cashier in assembling customers.
* Interacts with customers, and resolve problems to assure customer satisfaction
* Demonstrates the Just Say Yes behavior by taking care of customer needs
* Interact with co-workers in a diverse workforce
* Work with a variety of student groups and student workers to help in fund raising events and delivery programs
OPERATIONS / OTHER
* Opens and/or closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
* Preps vegetables, fruits, and food items for use in prepared salads, catered events and stocks items for the salad bar area. Prepares all dressings for the salad bar area.
* Ensures that vegetables are properly cut and stored to maintain freshness.
* Maintains a clean and sanitary work area and uses proper precautions to ensure fresh and clean product.
* Assists cooks, kitchen workers and performs other duties as necessary.
* Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
High school diploma or GED preferred.
Safe Serve Food Service Sanitation Certificate will be administered during training period.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* The Retail Foods Cook will be expected to continue to develop his/her culinary skills though a demonstrated commitment to grow and become increasingly versatile to the unit and organization.
* Minimum three years of experience as a cook.
* Minimum three years of experience or training in cold food preparation, food storage and shelf life, basic kitchen work, with knowledge of food service cleanliness and sanitation standards.
This is a physically active job in a kitchen environment. Incumbent will experience long periods of standing on a hard floor; working with commercial kitchen institutional equipment; and fluctuations in work flow, temperature, and noise level.
Must be able to work shift on your feet and perform frequent arm movements.
The employee in this position will often be required to lift or carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds, and push or pull carts weighing up to 50 pounds frequently. Must be able to lift and/or carry 10-20 lbs. numerous times each day. This job requires bending and reaching activities. Must be able to perform numerous manual tasks and use a variety of kitchen equipment in a safe manner.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information on our background check policy can be found here: http://go.middlebury.edu/backgroundchecks
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/25088
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency