at University of Vermont in Burlington, Vermont, United States
Senior Microsoft Systems Engineer
Do you want to work with state-of-the-art technology, in one of the most beautiful locations in the US? The University of Vermont (UVM) is looking for an experienced systems engineer who can implement and support Microsoft technologies in both our on-premises environment and our hybrid Microsoft 365 cloud services. Additionally, this position will focus on modern device management (MDM) and end user computing (EUC) solutions.
UVM has multiple large-scale systems in 24x7 production data center environments. Help support on-premises Microsoft technologies such as Active Directory, Windows Server systems, and Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (formerly SCCM).
Engineer and support solutions for MDM improvements and help determine the future of our Unified Endpoint Management solutions. Work as part of a team to evaluate and deploy next generation systems for management of university client devices, operating systems, software, and BYOD.
Develop and support enhancements to our EUC environments. Provide technical support for UVM’s VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environment, enhancing the service for both UVM academic needs as well as administrative access to sensitive data. Help manage UVM's AppsAnywhere environment to ensure multiple software delivery methods meet campus needs, including the creation of Cloudpaging packages for streaming installation of applications to Windows computers, integrating virtual applications hosted in UVM's VMware environment, and curating local downloadable installers for multiple operating systems and use cases. Collaborate closely with faculty and staff to determine academic and administrative software needs and priorities.
The Systems Architecture & Administration team supports most aspects of server computing at UVM, including research, educational, and administrative functions. We work collaboratively to understand and solve tough problems, to develop effective relationships with our clients, and to improve IT at UVM, positively affecting thousands of students, faculty, and staff.
The University of Vermont, established in 1791, is located 90 miles south of Montreal between the Adirondack and Green Mountains on the shores of Lake Champlain. Burlington, Vermont, a city of 50,000, is consistently recognized for its quality of life, from four season outdoor recreation to cultural events.
UVM is a comprehensive research university comprising eight schools and colleges, and offers its employees competitive salaries, outstanding benefits including tuition remission, and a superior academic workplace. This position can have a flexible working schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field (or equivalent experience) and five years of systems administration and scripting experience in a large-scale, complex Microsoft server environment.
- Expertise with Microsoft Server and desktop operating systems and demonstrated ability to manage integrated Microsoft services in a highly available environment.
- Experience with scripting, including PowerShell.
- Experience with Active Directory and thorough knowledge of Group Policy.
- Configuration management, system and network debugging experience.
- Effective troubleshooting skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Endpoint management and Windows deployment services expertise.
- Experience administering Microsoft 365 services.
Any of the following qualifications would strengthen your candidacy:
- Previous history of running complex managed workstation environments successfully.
- Experience with SCCM, Intune, Autopilot or similar systems.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) expertise, ideally VMware Horizon.
- Experience with application virtualization technologies.
- Knowledge about Microsoft Azure services.
- Experience working at an academic institution.
We may hire at either a senior-level position or a mid-level position. For further information, or to apply with electronic application, resume, and cover letter, visit our website: https://go.uvm.edu/microsoftengineer
The University of Vermont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applications from women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and people from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
University of Vermont
233 Waterman Building 85 So. Prospect St
Burlington, Vermont 05405