at City Market, Onion River Co-op in Burlington, Vermont, United States
Cashier positions available at both our Downtown and South End locations!
While operating the cash registers, a City Market Cashier will directly engage with our local community, providing our neighbors with an outstanding customer service experience. This includes developing product knowledge about the items we sell in our store(s), assisting with our Food For All program and similar programs, and sending-off our shoppers. The Cashier position also supports the Co-op’s membership goals, which increases the impact of our Cooperative Principals.
Department: Front End
Reports to: Front End Management
Division/Status: Bargaining Unit, Non-Exempt, Grade 3
Prepared Date: April 2019
Location: All City Market Locations
This position accurately checks out customer purchases; provides prompt, friendly, helpful customer service; and helps maintain a clean and orderly Front End department.
Non-exempt, work directed by others. Decisions focus on individual responsibilities within relatively narrow guidelines, yet can affect customer satisfaction.
This position has access to information necessary to perform job tasks and is expected to treat City Market employee and customer service interactions with appropriate discretion.
Reporting to the Front End Manager, the Cashier is responsible for providing the highest level of service possible to our customers, vendors, co-workers and community. This position is also required to maintain the highest standards of professionalism and contribute towards a positive work environment that requires the highest standard of personal conduct.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Adhere to policies as outlined in the City Market’s Employee Guide.
- Familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Be proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development while having a curiosity and desire to learn. Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops.
- Follow all department policies and procedures in order for City Market to adhere to all State, Federal and OSHA regulations.
- Support City Market’s Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement.
- Greet customers and offer friendly, helpful service.
- Receive payment in full for purchases, carefully giving change and receipts.
- Check out customer purchases in a friendly, accurate and timely manner using correct prices, departments and codes. Master PLU codes.
- Comply with all City Market policies and procedures that ensure compliance with Vermont Department of Liquor Control guidelines to prevent alcohol sales to minors or intoxicated customers.
- Become familiar with Co-op policies and products in order to answer customer questions; refer unresolved questions or problems to appropriate staff.
- Answer questions on member policies and assist customers with membership applications, equity payments, equity refunds, etc.
- Call for back up with check out as needed so that customers wait as little as possible.
- Follow cash handling security procedures according to established guidelines. Help prevent shoplifting by observing customer traffic.
- Maintain Front End in a clean orderly condition, organize carts and baskets. Maintain shopper and register supplies at check stands.
- Help train other cashiers as directed by Front End Manager.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Front End Manager.
Core Co-op Competencies
- Sense of humor!
- Be a team player. A team player is one who has the “willingness to consider the effects of one’s own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.”
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork, compassion and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, following the proper channels as outlined by supervisor(s) as well as genuine active listening skills.
- Ability to follow through on commitments and having a high sense of personal and professional accountability.
- A consistent and genuine ability to project a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly, prioritize effectively and problem solve within established guidelines.
- Ability to speak, read and understand the English language and carry out complex instructions.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and occasional late nights.
- Six months of cash handling experience OR one year of customer service experience required.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
Noise level is moderate to loud as can be expected in a busy retail environment. May be exposed to various temperature changes and exposed to outside weather conditions at times. Work includes standing at a register for prolonged periods, repetitive arm and hand movements, and moving and lifting products, along with continuous interaction with customers and associates. Expected to lift up to 50lbs regularly.
City Market, Onion River Co-op
82 S Winooski Ave
Burlington, Vermont 05401