at City Market, Onion River Co-op in Burlington, Vermont, United States
Open Deli Service Staff positions at both our Downtown and South End Locations!
This is a dynamic position with tasks that range from prepping our homemade deli staples to brewing coffee, all while providing our shoppers with an outstanding customer experience. Our deli service staff team members will learn tons of new product knowledge about our locally produced meats and cheeses and can even have opportunities to contribute sandwich creations to our menu. Working closely with our made-from-scratch kitchen team, City Market’s Deli Service Staff play a vital role in our fast-paced prepared foods services! Air-conditioned kitchen!
Deli Service Staff
Department: Prepared Foods
Reports to: Prepared Foods Manager
Division/Status: Bargaining Unit, Non-Exempt, Grade 3
Prepared Date: April 2019
Location: All City Market Locations
This position assists in maintaining an organized and smoothly run Deli Service Department. Duties include: sandwich preparation, maintenance and cleanliness of hot and cold food bars, grab & go foods, bulk deli, and miscellaneous areas, pastries, cheese, coffee/tea stations, and the City Market Deli Café, as well as storage of paper goods and miscellaneous supplies.
Non-exempt, work directed by others. Decisions focus on individual responsibilities within relatively narrow guidelines, yet can affect customer satisfaction.
This position has access to information necessary to perform job tasks and is expected to treat City Market employee and customer service interactions with appropriate discretion.
Reporting to the Prepared Foods Manager, the Deli Service Staff is responsible for providing the highest level of service possible to our customers, vendors, co-workers and community. This position is also required to maintain the highest standards of professionalism and contribute towards a positive work environment that requires the highest standard of personal conduct.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Adhere to policies as outlined in the City Market’s Employee Guide.
- Familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Be proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development while having a curiosity and desire to learn. Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops.
- Follow all department policies and procedures in order for City Market to adhere to all State, Federal and OSHA regulations.
- Support City Market’s Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement.
- Study recipes and food preparation in the Prepared Foods Department to be able to answer customers’/co-workers’ questions.
- Retrieve from storage coolers all products necessary for stocking deli cases.
- Staff and operate sandwich station as assigned.
- Clean, stock, and rotate coolers, reach-ins, and deli cases.
- Maintain coffee bar cleanliness, par stocks and pump pots.
- Maintain City Market Deli Café cleanliness at all times.
- Wipe down cases of finger marks and dirt
- Maintain PLU scale
- Regularly communicate departmental needs to and Deli Service Supervisor and Prepared Foods Manager
- Encourage and answer all customer suggestions, requests and complaints pertaining to the Prepared Foods Department
- Help to ensure optimum stock levels of prepared foods are maintained. Help to maintain inventory levels with consideration to approved inventory turns and controlled shrinkage. Participate in monthly/yearly inventory taking with department staff.
- Record waste and transfers in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Core Co-op Competencies
- Sense of humor!
- Be a team player. A team player is one who has the “willingness to consider the effects of one’s own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.”
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork, compassion and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, following the proper channels as outlined by supervisor(s) as well as genuine active listening skills.
- Ability to follow through on commitments and having a high sense of personal and professional accountability.
- A consistent and genuine ability to project a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly, prioritize effectively and problem solve within established guidelines.
- Ability to speak, read and understand the English language and carry out complex instructions.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and occasional late nights.
- Six months of cooking or food service experience OR one year of customer service experience required.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry preferred.
This job operates in a kitchen environment, housed with equipment such as ovens, stoves, dishwashers, slicers, coffee machines, steamers, mixers, chef’s knives, etc. The employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, fire and other hazards. Noise level is moderate to loud as can be expected in a busy retail environment. May be exposed to various temperature changes and work environments, including frequently working with and in freezers and coolers. This position requires the performance of repetitive tasks as well as significant lifting, walking, standing, moving, carrying and stocking product. May be required to work in high, precarious places. Expected to lift up to 50lbs regularly.
City Market, Onion River Co-op
207 Flynn Ave
Burlington, Vermont 05401